2011-11-16 9:58:08 版主
1. Typical of the grassland dwellers of the continent is the American antelope, or pronghorn.
2. Of the millions who saw Haley’s comet in 1986, how many people will live long enough to see it return in the twenty-first century.
3. Anthropologists have discovered that fear, happiness, sadness, and surprise are universally reflected in facial expressions.
4. Because of its irritating effect on humans, the use of phenol as a general antiseptic has been largely discontinued.
5. In group to remain in existence, a profit-making organization must, in the long run, produce something consumers consider useful or desirable.
6. The greater the population there is in a locality; the greater the need there is for water, transportation, and disposal of refuse.
7. It is more difficult to write simply, directly, and effectively than to employ flowery but vague expressions that only obscure one’s meaning.
8. With modern offices becoming more mechanized, designers are attempting to personalize them with warmer, less severe interiors.
9. The difference between libel and slander is that libel is printed while slander is spoken.
10. The knee is the joints where the thigh bone meets the large bone of the lower leg.
11. Acids are chemical compounds that, in water solution, have a sharp taste, a corrosive action on metals, and the ability to turn certain blue vegetable dyes red.
12. Billie Holiday’s reputation as a great jazz-blues singer rests on her ability to give emotional depth to her songs.
12. Billie Holiday’s作为一个爵士布鲁斯乐杰出歌手的名声建立在能够赋予歌曲感情深度的能力。
13. Essentially, a theory is an abstract, symbolic representation of what is conceived to be reality.
14. Long before children are able to speak or understand a language, they communicate through facial expressions and by making noises.
15. Thanks to modern irrigation, crops now grow abundantly in areas where once nothing but cacti and sagebrush could live.