2011-12-16 9:26:38 版主
37. "Every…not"和"All…not"结构，"Every…not"表示"不见得每个……都是……"；"All…not"表示"不见得所有……都是……"的意思。Every man is not polite, and all are not born gentlemen.
38. "may as well not…as"结构，此结构可译为"与其……不如不……"。
One may as well not know a thing at all as know it but imperfectly.
39. "have only to …do"结构，此结构表示"只须（消）……就能……"的意思。
We have only to turn to that extraordinary discovery made by Edison to see the significance of it.
40. "not (no) …unless…"句型No increase in output can be expected unless a new assembly line is installed.
Better my life should be ended by their hate, than that hated life should be prolonged to live without your love.
42. "as it were"是一个非常常用的插入语，意思是"好象"，"可以说"等。
Apiece of iron near a magnet, though apparently separate from it , feels, as it were, the threads of this attachment.
43. 复杂结构，在下面例句中，由于anyone的定语从句过长，把谓语must realize提到定语从句之前。
Though faith and confidence are surely more or lass foreign to my nature, I do not infrequently find myself looking to them to be able, diligent, candid, and even honest. Plainly enough, that is too large an order, as anyone must realize who reflects upon the manner in which they reach public office.
44. "not…any more than…"为："不能……，正如不能……"。
One cannot learn to sketch and express himself graphically only by reading about it any more than one can learn to swim while standing by the pool.
45. "By that as it may"是"Let it be that as it may"的省略形式，是由"be"引起的另外一种假设结构，意思是"虽然如此，尽管这样"。
It is said that the nerve poison is the more primitive of the two, that the blood poison is, so to speak, a new product from an improved formula. Be that as it may, the nerve poison does its business with man far more quickly than the blood poison.
46. "if at all"是一个由"if"引起的主谓结构不完整的短句结为"即将……"，"即使……"等。
I can see only with great difficulty, if at all.
There have been opened up to the vast and excellent science, in which my work is the beginning, ways and means by which other minds more accurate than wine will explore its remote corners.
48. "range from …to…"结构。这是一个常见结构，译时很多情况下应变通处理，不能完全依靠辞典上的释义。
Computer applications range from an assembly line completely run by computers to a children toy responding to remote signals.
49. "the way…"结构
I always thought she was a common-sense person who discussed things the way they ought to be discussed.
In recent years, the development of sensitive and accurate measuring equipment has made it possible to measure the acuity of hearing of any individual at different frequencies.