2011-12-16 9:28:13 版主
1） 动词短语相关部分被分隔（当"make use of "，"take notice of"，"pay attention to"，
等动词短语变成被动语态时）。Use is made of solar energy in heating houses.
But there is of culture another view, in which not solely the scientific passion, the sheer desire to see things as they are, natural and proper in an intelligent being, appears as the ground of it.
52. "to be doing…when…"是一个句型，多译为"某人正在做……时，突然……"。在简单的句子中容易看出，一旦句子变得复杂一些，可能就不太容易识别这种句型。
She said she and a friend had gone out to dinner that night, and were walking home together at about 10 o’clock, when a "very big, very tall man", accosted them and demanded their purses.
Then I remembered how often I, too, had been indifferent to the grandeur of each day, too preoccupied with petty and sometimes even mean concerns to respond to the splendor of it all.
54. "so much that…"句型
But he developed gradually a very musical English. He learnt to write sentences that fall away on the ear with a misty languor and it delighted him so much that he could never have enough of it.
Anything is better than not to write clearly. There is nothing to be said against lucidity, and against simplicity only the possibility of dryness. This is a risk that is well worth taking when you reflect how much better it is to be bold than to wear a curly wig.
In 1600 the earth was not the center of the universe because the majority then supposed it was; nor, because she had more readers, was Ella wheeler Wilcox a better poet than Father Hopkins.
57. "so…that, such…that"是一个普通的句型，但在同一个句子里有两处使用它却比较少见。
The truth is, that in one point of view, this matter of national literature has come to such a pass with us, that in some sense we must turn bullies, else the day is lost, or superiority so far beyond us, that we can hardly say it will ever be ours.
58. "by doing…"结构。这个结构的意思是"通过（做）……"，但翻译实践中不能拘泥于这种释义，不少情况下需要灵活变通。
The hippos, by depositing dung in the water, fed the fish that support the storks that destroy the rare trees.
No less obvious is the fact there are great numbers of people so constituted or so brought up that they cannot get so much pleasure out of processes and experiences resulting in a poorer life less full of meaning.
60. "what…of"句型I can not say of myself what Johnson said of Pope: He never passed a fault unamended by indifference, nor quitted it by despair. I do not write as I do; I write as I can.
It is a valuable work. I do not think anyone writes so well that he cannot learn much from it.
62. "to have not…(as) to see…"中的不定式也有否定意味。
He had not the good breeding to see that simplicity and naturalness are the truest marks of distinction.
63. "It occurred to sb. that…"意为"突然想到"，"It dawned on sb.that…"."突然想起"等。 从句是想起的内容。
I remember once being on a bus and looking at a stranger. He suddenly looked back at me-i.e.our eyes met. My instinctive reaction was to avert my gaze. It occurred to me that if I had continued to maintain eye contact, I would have been rude and aggressive.
64. "It follows that…"="It happens as a result…"常常被译为"由此可见"，"因此"，"从前"，"可以推断"等等。
It follows that the housewife will also expect to be able to have more leisure in her life without lowering her standard of living. It also follows that human domestic servants will have completely ceased to exist.
65. "that’s all there is to it "，意思是"也不过如此而已"。可根据上下文视情况处理。
If I’m touched, I’m touched-that’s all there is to it.
66. "The chances are that…"是一句型，译为"有可能……"。
The chances are you will never attempt that speed with poetry or want to race though some passages in fiction over which you wish to linger.
67. Feel, see, leave引起宾语的宾语补足语，或在被动语态中引起主语补足语的某些惯用句型，有时see和feel这两个词的被动式不大好译。遇到这种情况应挖掘其深层含义，不要拘泥于表面形式。
The education of the young is seen to be of primary importance.
68. 某此以no, nowhere, never, not…bout, not…any, nothing but, hardly, scarcely, seldom等否定词语引出的一些结构。
I never go past the theatre but I think of his last performance.
69. 某些用choice between, to know better, whether or, should have avoided(或done better)等表示从两种做法中选取一种更好的做法
Then we are faced with a choice between using technology to provide and fulfil needs which have hitherto been regarded as unnecessary or, on the other hand, using technology to reduce the number of hours of work which a man must do in order to earn a given standard of libing.
The country had grown rich, its commerce was large, and wealth did its natural work in making life softer and more worldly, commerce in deprovincializing the minds of those engaged in it.
Across the court from the Manhattan apartment that I have occupied for the past few years is a dog that often hurls insults into the darkness, a few of which my dog refuses to accept and makes a tart reply.
Of course, nobody was hurt this time, because we had all been to dinner, none of us being novices excepting Hastings; and he having been informed by the minister at the time that he invited him that in deference to the English custom the had not provided any dinner.