Voice Mail and Calling Cards电话留言机和电话卡
1) Voice mail is starting to replace answering machines. The popularity of voice mail has come about because of its many benefits. The main advantages are:电话留言机正在取代电话应答机。电话留言机的普及是因为它具有很多的好处。它的主要优势有以下几点：
a) Voice mail records messages when you are out of the office.
b) You can make separate messages for separate callers.
c) You can check your voice mail from remote locations.
2) Calling cards are cards with numbers on them. The number codes are read by the phone when the entire card is put in or "swiped." Once a month the calling card company will send you a bill.电话卡是一些带有号码的卡。当你把电话卡全部插进电话机或是“刷卡”的时候，电话机就可以读取这些代码。每个月，电话卡公司都会给你送去话费单。
3) Calling cards can be used on a friend’s home phone or any private as well as any public phone. If there is no card slot, you will just have to type in the code yourself.你可以在朋友家或任何私人场合或公共场合的电话使用电话卡。如果没有插卡槽，你就得自己输入卡号。
4) Calling cards are cheaper than putting change into a public phone. They are a lot cheaper than calling collect.使用电话卡比使用公共电话便宜。比对方付费的电话便宜得多。
5) A phone card is different, as it is only a one-use card. You must also pay in advance to use a phone card.还有一种电话卡与上述的电话卡不同。因为它是一次性电话卡，因此，你得先付费才能使用。
Gordon’s voice mail: Hi, this is Gordon, I am not in the office at the moment. You have reached Gordon’s voicemail. If you are calling for an appointment, press 1. If your are calling from IBM, press 2. If you are making a personal, call press 3.
Beth: I need an appointment, so I’ll press number 1.
Gordon: You have chosen number 1, an appointment.
Beth: That is correct.
Gordon: Welcome to the appointment section. If you want an appointment this week, press 1. If you want an appointment after this week, press 2.
Beth: I need an appointment this week, so I will press 1.
Gordon: You have chosen an appointment for this week. After the beep, please leave a message including your name and contact info. Press the pound (#) key when you are finished.
Beth: Hello, I am Beth Kelly. I need an appointment ASAP to talk with you about the media contract. Call me at 410-555-1212. Thanks for your time. Now I will press the pound key. (#)
Gordon: Thank you for leaving a message. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.